A targeted probiotic blend clinically demonstrated to support mood†
Probiotics and the gut brain axis
The gut brain axis refers to the bidirectional communication network between the central and autonomic nervous systems and the intestines. Gut-brain communications are mediated by the immune system, endocrine connections such as the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, and neural pathways involving the enteric nervous system. The gut microbiota is now known to play a pivotal role in gut brain communications. It is a complex interaction whereas the microbiota engages locally with intestinal cells as well as communicating directly with the central nervous system through neuroendocrine, immune, and metabolic pathways.1 Research into gut brain mechanisms is rapidly expanding our understanding and serves to inform the development of targeted probiotic formulations.
- Powered by Ecologic BARRIER, a 5B CFU blend of 9 probiotic strains
- Protected by PROBIOACT® Technology for optimal efficacy and shelf-stability
- Hypoallergenic,* non-GMO, single-serving sachets
Target gb-X with Ecologic BARRIER was specifically designed to influence the gut brain axis through defined mechanisms including strengthening of the gut barrier function, modulation of cytokines and inflammatory response, production of potentially neuroprotective metabolite, and HPA regulation. Preclinical research emphasized a pronounced shift away from macrophage-produced cytokines to T-lymphocyte-produced cytokines, a reduction in circulating lipopolysaccharide endotoxins, and a marked reduction in transcription of hippocampal genes related to HPA regulation.2 Moreover, clinical findings have demonstrated that supplementation with Ecologic BARRIER is correlated with decreased overall cognitive reactivity to sad mood primarily through diminished rumination and reduction in aggressive thoughts, which are established vulnerability markers for more significant mood alterations.3
|Serving Size 1 Sachet (Approx. 2 g)|
|Amount Per Sachet||% Daily Value|
|Total Carbohydrate||2 g||<1%**|
|Potassium (as potassium chloride)||35 mg||<1%|
|Ecologic BARRIER Probiotic Blend (5 billion CFU)||2 g|
|Lactobacillus casei W56||*|
|Lactobacillus acidophilus W37||*|
|Lactobacillus brevis W63||*|
|Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis W58||*|
|Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis W52||*|
|Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis W19||*|
|Lactobacillus salivarius W24||*|
|Bifidobacterium bifidum W23||*|
|Bifidobacterium lactis W51||*|
* Daily value not established
** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Maize starch, maltodextrin, inulin, polydextrose, vegetable protein, magnesium sulfate, and manganese sulfate.
- Carabotti M, Scirocco A, Maselli MA, Severi C. The gut-brain axis: interactions between enteric microbiota, central and enteric nervous systems Ann Gastroenterol. 2015 Apr-Jun; 28(2): 203–209.
- Abildgaard A, Elfving B, Hokland M, Wegener G, Lund S. Probiotic treatment reduces depressive-like behaviour in rats independently of diet. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017 May;79:40-48.
- Steenbergen L, Sellaro R, van Hemert S, Bosch JA, Colzato LS. A randomized, controlled trial to test the effect of multispecies probiotics on cognitive reactivity to sad mood. Brain Behav Immun. 2015 Aug;48:258-64.
Dissolve the content of 1 sachet daily in water (3-4 oz.), preferably lukewarm, and stir before consumption. Take on an empty stomach in the morning, before bed, or as directed by a healthcare professional. Suitable for children from the age of 1 year.
Free of the following common allergens: milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, gluten, and soybeans. No artificial additives, colors, flavorings, preservatives, sugar, or salicylates are used. Contains corn.
Do not exceed the recommended daily serving. When antibiotics are used, wait 2-3 hours before using this product. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition, or taking prescription drugs, consult your healthcare professional before using this product. Keep out of reach of children.